To develop the frameworks of a timebank project at a community centre so it best meet its social outcomes.
These outcomes were to bring its members closer to the job market, create social networks and improve it’s members general health and wellbeing.
Key insights observed in the first weeks included:
Members didn't know what a timebank was or how
it worked. This was largely down to the demographic of the area and number of people who didn't speak english as their first language.
Members didn't know other members so didn't want to trade with strangers.
Members didn't know what skills they had to share
or didn't have the confidence to share their skill.
On the right are visuals showing the project initially and how I imagined it would look ideally to best meet its outcomes. It shows the separate groups that relied heavily on under resourced staff and had little to no interaction/exchange. The second diagram shows a timebank structure that leads to members feeling like they can attend different classes, exchange skills, meet new people and take ownership of their groups.
We organised a co-design workshop with the members of the project. The purpose of the "EastXchange kick off," was for its members to meet, encourage members to think about what skills they could share with others and vote on ideas for the future. We did this through games, creative exersises and a banquette at the end.
EastXchange kick off
On leaving the timebank a report was created for the facilitators of the project. This included advice for the future and data translated into ideas.
I used my visual communication skills to create a handbook for the project which would clearly clarify
how the timebank worked and introduce new members warmly to the project.